(WGoTS) Westeros Game of Thrones Sims

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(WGoTS) Was created by true intersim and Roleplay minded individuals to allow a fully immersive Roleplay by the individual - without the instruction of Mods detailing what your RP would be and the character you would have...

Keywords

Latest topics

» Endellion Greyjoy
Concubines? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 1:30 pm by Endellion Greyjoy

» Latest Rumors in the Reach
Concubines? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 12:58 am by BandorTyrell

» New Arrivals
Concubines? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:34 pm by BandorTyrell

» Bandor Tyrell
Concubines? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:18 pm by BandorTyrell

» A Short Journey
Concubines? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 8:22 pm by Wenna

» House Darklyn
Concubines? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 am by Arin_Darklyn

» Duncan Arryn
Concubines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 6:02 pm by Duncan Arryn

» The Queen interrogates Ginevra
Concubines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 5:24 pm by Ginevra Lannister

» Jon Snows Daddy *Possible SPOILER ALERT*
Concubines? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 3:23 am by Brigit

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates

free forum

+2
Elaena Velaryon
Brigit
6 posters

Concubines?

Brigit
    Brigit
    Admin
    Admin

Concubines? Empty Concubines?

Post by Brigit Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Want to know how you really feel about concubines in GoT (WGoTS.) I understand that people would take a concubine if they can't for whatever reason marry the woman. Perhaps they are already married, or perhaps they have taken vows that they would not marry. But, is it just another way of saying "slave?" Is a concubine "chattel?" Are we trying to bring Gor into GoT by this?
    Looking forward to hearing your diverse opinions and if you have quotes from the books supporting the keeping of concubines I would be interested in seeing them.
    Elaena Velaryon
    Elaena Velaryon
    Admin
    Admin

Concubines? Empty Concubines?

Post by Elaena Velaryon Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Tyrion Lannister kept a concubine. Shae was his concubine, his whore. His private whore. She served the purpose of serving his pleasure whatever it would be, whether it was as his lover, his whore, or as a woman that he wanted to have more with but just could not because his father did not approve. Shae is called "concubine" many times in Clash of Kings. I know this because I'm reading Clash of Kings currently, and I have seen it.

Shae is a camp follower in the Lannister campaign against the uprisings following King Robert’s death who becomes Tyrion Lannister’s concubine. Slim and attractive, dark-haired, and no more than 18, Shae is doe-eyed and wicked in temperament. She looks innocent, but clearly isn’t. Little is known about her, save that she is good at what she does. Shae is adept at knowing what men want, and quickly comes to understand how to play on Tyrion’s ego and bind him to her. She gives every indication that she will be faithful to the Imp, who has come to love her deeply, but Tyrion eventually kills her upon discovering her betrayal at King's Landing

The Concubine Shae

con·cu·bine
       [kong-kyuh-bahyn, kon-] Show IPA
    noun
    a woman who cohabits with a man to whom she is not legally married, especially one regarded as socially or sexually subservient; mistress.
    (among polygamous peoples) a secondary wife, usually of inferior rank.

I think that having concubines be a part of Game of THrones is a must - why prevent anyone from taking that role? and what has it have to do with slavery? Or Gor? They are not collared, they are not leashed, they do not kneel... per say >grins< Some Gorean Slaves that come to A Game of THrones are Lady's of Rank, some are Servants, some are castle whores, some whores in the brothels, and maybe some are also camp followers and concubines.

Concubines? Empty Re: Concubines?

Post by Guest Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:33 pm

I honestly believe that it truly depends on the character, or the wishes of the person playing them. For instance, I would find it hard to believe that Aiden Targaryan would have a concubine or mistress. Tahekus on the other hand,would obviously have several, whether or not he was married. However, I do hope that when considering these things the players think long and hard about the potential outcome/ consequences first. Yes I can understand that your g/f (Who icly is your characters wife) doesn't log on very often and you decide to take on an IC mistress, which your rl g/f understands and doesn't mind. However, would your -character- really do something like that? And keep in mind the major nose dive in reputation your character would get if your mistress were to get pregnant and have a bastard. That can lead to a lot of IC difficulties. Having Bastards (as a Noble/ Lord/ Ser) is not a good thing in GoT. Yes I am sure you've all heard me joking about Tahekus possibly having bastards but its different for him because well, he just doesn't care and at the moment isn't in a high enough standing for something like that to have any real effect on him, though it might further along down the line.
    I guess my point of all of this is basically this:
    Do what your character would do based off his/ her history, desires (Physical, Political, and Emotional) and personality. Please, for the love of all things Lannister, dont make such a drastic decision just because you wanna get your rl rocks off ic. (Sorry for the vulgarity) xD

--ends his rant--
    Brigit
    Brigit
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Brigit Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:12 am

I agree that it should go with what the character would actually do and not ooc wants and wishes. There is always a way to fit things into a storyline if someone really wants that, but if it goes against the character's natural self, that makes it a bit more difficult. What I was looking for is an actual reference, I have all the books and have yet to find this word "concubine." Though I would look closer if I had a better reference point. Chapter? page number? It seems the quote above is not actually from a book but instead from a webpage?
    Be still interested in seeing other's opinions on this, and please don't get me wrong in that I am not necessarily opposed or for concubines... Unless you're Aedan Targaryen *snickers*
    Frost Mormont

Post by Frost Mormont Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 am

The title 'Concubine' is perhaps an example of a Ladys way of putting a kinder, spin on what her Husband or Son has in his tent.

The word Whore is used with such ease in the story that one would think it was accepted by everyone. And clearly its not a word that a Lady wants to say in front of her company.
    When unsavory things are done, We normally find ways to make them acceptable by putting a softer name to them.
    Women accept the fact that there are whores at every turn out the castle walls. But a gentleman need not bluntly say such, Nor would a Lady wish to hear about it.
    In The Wanton Nymph a man may pay for a 'Bed Warmer'
    This is a fancy way of saying it, But I think add's to the flavor
    as Bear Island currently has more Women than Men and the vocabulary of an area changes with the people that dominate it.
    Kronos Greyjoy

Post by Kronos Greyjoy Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:27 am

Personally I loved the term "Back alley Sally" in referring to a lady of ilrepute, a professional lover so to speak. Is there a need for it? Well if real life is a reflection of myth, lore, and legend, it is the oldest profession in the world. Yes, there would be a place for it, within the WGoTS sims? Perhaps, but remember that public areas and private areas of a sim are just that. While Dahlia and I express our love openly for one another in RL, RP, or any other facet we come into in this life, our private lives are kept behind closed doors. It is a marriage and a vow of committment, however, in the RP role of a lord within the 7 kingdoms, would Lord Greyjoy have a mistress, a concubine, or rent a 'whore' for an evening? I'd say if he did not or would not, then there would be far less bastards with the name of Pyke running around the Iron Islands. Remember that the GoT is not a fairy tale, it is not a G rated movie, and things of this nature have and do take place. If someone should chose to RP in this type of character, then i give them my blessing, but keep in mind that this role will bring about many terms and what is said IC should be accepted for the role you play, if it is taken to an OOC circumstance, then I think that is the time to rethink the role itself amoung the community or at the very least, the person playing the role.

Either way, your RP is what you make of it. Play the role you want to portray in the GoT. King, Lord, Lady, or Whore....it is who you make your character into that is at the very core of your storyarc, and you are in control of it at all times. Have fun, its why we're all here, be creative, and enjoy yourself. Things said in character should stay in character, and not be taken personally, unless it is directed that way in IMs...and if that becomes the case, then hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, and I prey to the Drowned God, the 7, and the gods of the first that they have mercy on your soul...

Enjoy the RP and make it a story that will last the ages!!!
    Alyson Snow

Post by Alyson Snow Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:06 pm

I think Shae is a good example of a concubine or a mistress. Call her role by what name you will. Her actions are more important than the name assigned to them. I think it is quite clear in the books (and in rl history) that these sorts of arrangements are made frequently. Women and men trade sex or even affection for material gain or comfort all the time. I don't think this sort of rp carries a lot of stigma in Westeros society, either. It seems to be commonplace for men of wealth and rank to avail themselves of the pleasures of willing women in exchange for goods.

Bastards don't seem to be a problem, either. The books are littered with bastards. The bastards themselves are looked down upon, but their fathers are not. It seems to be accepted and even expected that kings and lords will father a few. As far as whores go, consider Dany's handmaid. Both Illyrio and Visyrs (sp?) attested to her skill. Littlefinger owns at least one brothel that we know of. The little lordlings at Winterfell are all half in love with the red haired prostitute. I think whores, mistresses, and their offspring play a larger role in these books than in most others. As such, I think it is perfectly reasonable for RPers to play these roles.
    Lady Alkina Stark
    Lady Alkina Stark

Post by Lady Alkina Stark Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:31 am

Well If we wish to keep with the theme of the story they are simply part of the tail. For Dothraqi in the books it was a part of everyday life. They passed threw a town whether they planed to conquer it or not they expected an offering of slaves if not given, they would then lay wast to it and take what they wanted. And as Alyson points out The whore concubines the bastard children of such relationships play a huge role. And Lorch makes a good point as well, people do have to make sure if these roles to mix into bonded relationship that they need to take it as rp and not personal ooc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:21 pm